Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Jiminy Cricket! (John 16:13)

I originally drew this picture so that you would have to look very closely to see the figure that is listening and pointing. That was intended to show the that it can be difficult to see the direction of the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, in practice I couldn't find a balance that I thought would be good for most people, so I tried to err on the side of showing the figure more clearly. In the end, it depends on your monitor settings as to how well you can see it.

You may be asking yourself, “Self, what's the blobby looking thing that the ghost of Mr. Clean is pointing to?” That, dear self, is supposed to be a torch. I was stuck again trying to find a visual representation of truth since the Spirit is supposed to guide you into all truth. A little research showed that the Greek symbol of truth was an upright torch. It also symbolized life and the regenerative power of the flame. The additional interpretations seemed appropriate for this Biblical context. Just don't let your torch flip over because that symbolism is not so good for you.


If you tell the Holy Spirit that it's not polite to point:

1 comment:

  1. For those of you playing at home this is post #50. Halfway to the century mark! I never realized how many doodles I made just for the book of John. And I still have 5 chapters left to go.

    ReplyDelete