Monday, June 14, 2010

That your joy may be full - repeat x3 (John 15:12)

This is one of my drawings that depends on your translation. If your version says “My command” then this is a bit of a stretch. The appropriate wording to interpret this picture is “My commandment.” With that, the connection to the 10 commandments is obvious. Jesus essentially gives us the abridged version because reading ten whole commandments just takes too long. The problem with Jesus' short version is that it's much tougher than the old laws. It's no longer good enough to simply not kill people that are mean to me. Now I have to love them too.

Have you ever gone to Church Camp or Vacation Bible School or Backyard Bible Club or any other church, summer, kid activity? This passage is the basis of one of the traditional kid's Bible songs. Like most kids songs, it's just one line repeated ad nauseum. And yet they're still stuck in my head to this day. The only problem is that nowadays they don't teach these songs to kids as much. So when I mention it I look like a straight up mental patient. Hmm. This stream of consciousness accidentally cracked the code to creating a hit kids program! Psychosis + Repetition = Addiction in Children. I'm looking in your direction, flavor-of-the-month, Yo Gabba Gabba!


If you help me adapt “One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest” for children:

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Yo Gabba Gabba! Now I have a streaming playlist of all the church music we had to remember as kids. I'll let you know later if that's a good or a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete