Monday, December 31, 2012

SOAP!

With the new year I'll be adding a new style to my repertoire. My next series will go chapter by chapter in the book of Genesis using the SOAP devotional journaling method. As you already probably guessed, SOAP is an acronym for a four step process. Here's the process as I was taught it:


S: SCRIPTURE


Carefully read one chapter each day. Be vigilant to take your time to read and listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit. Highlight. Underline or place a mark in the margin of your bible next to the scriptures that stand out to you. When you are done, reread the verses you marked, look for one that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal. (In my case, I'll be illustrating the words of the verse. You'll soon find out just how this is different than what you've seen from me so far.)

O: OBSERVATION

Write down observations about the scripture you just read. You may want to write your own summary of the passage, but more importantly, think about what God has to say to you in it.

A: APPLICATION

Personalize what you have read by asking yourself how it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, revelation of a new promise or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.

P: PRAYER

This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two-way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say!


I always thought of the book of Genesis as a spectacular collection of early stories, but I was surprised to find just how relevant it can be for us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment