Monday, June 7, 2010

Rebus extraordinaire (John 14:6)

This is the premiere example of my version of a Bible rebus. The verse uses concepts that can be hard to visualize, so instead I focus on the words themselves. That way even if the picture doesn't give you any insight on the underlying meaning, at least the words will stick in your mind.

The backbone of this verse is three words followed by the ramifications of those words. First I focus on the words: way, truth, and life. I basically play a word association game. What's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the word “way.” That's an easy one. Way = road stretching out to the horizon. Check! The next word is “truth.” How on earth do you draw the state of being correct? I can't remember how long I sat there staring at the blank page, racking my brain for any and every reference to “truth” before Pinocchio popped into my head. Two down and one to go. “Life” is a versatile word that I've drawn a few different ways. In this instance, I settled on a representation of life through a seed sprouting into a flower. As for the final phrase, because of the way my brain works, the drawing was immediately obvious. When I showed it to my Mom, she said “Maybe you've gone a bit to far with that last picture. Could you draw something else there?” That's when I knew that it was perfect. You won't be forgetting this verse anytime soon! Mwahahahaaaa!


If you have perfected your evil laugh:

No comments:

Post a Comment