Monday, March 8, 2010

Mind your mama (John 2:6-9)

jesus changes water to wine
The story never really tells at what point the water turned into wine. It could have been instantaneous or maybe it still looked like water and just tasted like wine. Who knows. But this is how a showman would do it.

MISCONCEPTION CORRECTION: Jesus asks the servants to fill jars with water. When you think of the jars an image of the generic average sized pottery jars may come to mind. But really these babies were huge! Each stone jar held twenty to thirty gallons. So Jesus pumped out at least 120 gallons of wine. The stone water jars I've drawn are modeled after jars archaeologists found in the region dating around the same time period.

Perhaps my favorite part of the story comes in verses 3 and 4 where Jesus' mother gets the ball rolling. In my mind, the family dialog goes something like this...
   Mary: Jesus, they've run out of wine.
   Jesus: OK.
   Mary: (Mary just stares at Jesus) ...
   Jesus: Is something wrong?
   Mary:
   Jesus: Mom, it's none of my business.
   Mary:
   Jesus: C'mon, Mom! It's my day off!
   Mary:
   Jesus: Ugh! Fine. I'll make some wine if it'll get you to stop bothering me.
   Mary: (cheerfully) Thanks! (Mary skips away)


If you figured out the military grade flat bottom ladle isn't historically accurate for this story:

No comments:

Post a Comment