Friday, February 26, 2010

Wardrobe malfunction (John 1:14)

word became flesh
This is one of my most requested drawings. It's a predecessor to my illustrated version of the book of John on which most of these initial pictures are based. I guess it was the first time people could put a picture with the words. Or maybe people just like a cool picture of a transformation like with the wolfman or the Incredible Hulk. “JESUS SMASH!” (Hulk Jesus smashes sins!)

MISCONCEPTION CORRECTION: I always enjoy a good picture of Jesus as the whitest dude you've ever seen. Maybe it was really cloudy in Israel for the beginning of the first century. Along the lines of a less drastic misrepresentation of Jesus, what's the deal with his clothes? For some reason I always picture him in a white robe with a blue sash. I'm not sure where I got blue from since the majority of Jesus pictures seem to use red. It must be an image burned into my brain from an early Sunday School lesson or something. Either way Jesus must have had a great dry cleaner. It's ironic that people always depict Jesus in beautiful robes since he rips on that attire in Mark 12:38. I had considered drawing Jesus more accurately, but I figured it would be harder for people to immediately recognize him. And thus the stereotype perpetuates itself.


If the next time you picture Jesus in your mind, he's wearing parachute pants:

No comments:

Post a Comment