Monday, August 24, 2015

He's got the itty bitty babies in His hands - Bible Plan Verse #8

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭41‬:‭10‬ NLT)

Read it again.

Don’t worry—I am with you. Don’t be afraid—I am your God. I will make you strong and help you. I will support you with my right hand that brings victory. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭41‬:‭10‬ ERV)

WHAT STICKS OUT?
Victorious right hand!

WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE?

>>>THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD<<<
This idea reminds me of the children's song 'He's Got the Whole World in His Hands.' When I looked up Bible references to that song, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see a reference just one chapter before this verse. Isaiah asks "Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers? Who else knows the weight of the earth or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale?" (‭Isaiah‬ ‭40‬:‭12‬ NLT) The biggest hand represents God and His holding everything in His hand.

>>>THE RIGHT HAND OF JESUS<<<
Sometimes we forget the complexity of our God. He is three in one. So perhaps this right hand doesn’t just belong to God the Father. The Old Testament also uses the phrase "right hand of God" to refer to the coming Messiah wielding the power of God on earth. That makes me think of Jesus like God's enforcer. God made the plans, but it was Jesus that punched Satan in the face. Why is the Jesus fist punching a bird? Because I think of the bird as the primary enemy of the worm. Why the worm? We'll get to that in a second.

>>>THE RIGHT HAND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT<<<
Now in the New Testament we read that Jesus is sitting at God's right hand meaning He is in a position of authority equal to God, but also that His work is complete. So if Jesus is done (for now), who do we turn to? In Acts Jesus tells us that when He gets to His seat at the right hand of God, He will send the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit leads us, teaches us, and helps us through our day... perhaps with His right hand. The smallest hand is that of the Holy Spirit giving direction. It's small not because the Holy Spirit is limited in power, but because we as humans can only handle small things in comparison to God.

>>>A WORM NAMED JACOB<<<

This is a verse of empowerment...and it is not. That "victorious right hand" is not ours. The power of the Almighty God is working on the behalf of His people and we can take no credit for it. We are just little worms. I'm not saying that to belittle you. God said it four verses later. "Though you are a lowly worm, O Jacob, don’t be afraid, people of Israel, for I will help you. I am the LORD, your Redeemer. I am the Holy One of Israel." (‭Isaiah‬ ‭41‬:‭14‬ NLT) This is not a verse to pump you up to overcome your obstacles or accomplish your goals. This is a promise to those who are fully dependent on God. It's surprising how quickly I turn this verse to selfishly focus on me. Satan is twisting the truth about God's love for us to make it all about us. I think, "God is backing me so I can do anything!" We are being spiritually attacked when we believe we are the hero and God is just a power boost we need every so often. All Christians rightfully claim to be dependent on God, but ask yourself if your actions support your beliefs. So if we aren't supposed to be treating God like an energy drink you take once a day to help you be your best, how should we act with God's power but in complete dependence on God? The Holy Spirit told me that the solution is thankfulness. Live in power and humility by giving God the glory for any action in your life no matter how big or how small. Through you, God did it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment