Monday, October 24, 2011

JC meets J-pop (Romans 12:2)

When I was growing up, I basically had 4 mothers. My group of friends all came from similar backgrounds with similar values so my friend’s mothers were sort of like an extension of my own mom. Over the years of college and jobs my friends and I have parted ways, but one of my friends and (by association) his Mom are still around. So after years of staying power, she has finally clawed her way to the top of the “other mother” heap to be my “2nd Mom.” Long story short, this drawing (as well as Romans 12:1) was her request for a church retreat she was leading not too long ago.

If you’ve been living under an internet-rock for the past few years, you may not recognized the first picture. On a Japanese game show there is a segment called “Nōkabe” meaing “Brain Wall.” (It became popular on YouTube as “Human Tetris” and even made a short run in the U.S. as “Hole in the Wall”.) The simple idea is that you have to contort your body to fit into cutouts in a giant wall of Styrofoam otherwise you’ll be pushed into a pool of water.

Now if the rock you’ve been living under is REALLY big, you’re one of the last people remaining unaware of Transformers, the toy line of robots that transform from everyday objects (commonly vehicles) into humanoid form. However the toy industry could not contain them so they transformed into TV shows, comics, and even a few recent movies that I heard did okay at the box office.

The idea is that we should avoid fitting into the mold of this world and focus our minds on God. The goal of these actions is to discern God’s will for us (his good, pleasing, and perfect will). Perhaps the idea following someone else’s plan is difficult for you to handle. Think about it like this: What if someone you trust 100% and you know has your best interest at heart planned a very special day just for you. Wouldn’t you want to stick with them all day so you didn’t miss a single moment? Now multiply that by an eternity.


A very special 谢谢 to my 2nd Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment